Saturday, June 6, 2020

Hummingbird Saga

In the interest of surrounding myself with more nature, I decide to add hummingbirds to my mix of succulents that have been prolificating. Having found a feeder that doubles as a solar light at night, I purchase a pack of food written in Spanish (being price conscious). Not able to read directions, I guess at the dilution ratio.

Having followed the simple instructions, and not able to find the switch to activate the solar light, I proceeded to fill the feeder and take it outside to hang. With my visual perception impaired, trying to hang it up, I miss and drop the feeder, whereupon it falls apart. Able now to find the hidden switch, red sugar fluid flows over my patio. I mend the feeder as I have super glue in stock due to previous disasters.

Now, with my patio hosed down, fluid in the feeder, I proceed, very carefully to hang it up; where upon, it leaks and the handle comes apart spilling the liquid again. Being from pioneer stock, I do not give up.

All issues resolved, I sit back to watch hummingbirds come, but bigger birds land on it. Still, I do not give up. Before continuing my bird watching vigil, I go to the refrigerator and get sport drink (which I dilute with water) and grab the hummingbird mix instead. Let it be noted, my preference for a sugar high is gelato.

The beauty of Picasso vision is that when a leaf falls or a little breeze moves the feeder, I "see" hummingbirds. All is well with the world.

[This just in -- I am on my patio writing & a real, honest to goodness humming bird just filled up at my feeder! I give thanks to the Creator of all!]